Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Making Babies and the Gospel Seed

The supernatural power of God flowing through me to minister to others is like the way a woman produces a baby. She cannot get pregnant (start a baby growing inside her) by herself. She needs two additional things to begin a pregnancy beyond what she possesses as a fertile woman. She must have sperm donated to her egg and she must have the miracle of life occur wherein her egg is fertilized and implanted within her prepared womb.

But once her egg has been fertilized with sperm, which is all done within the darkness of her body and is miraculous even for the naturally fertile, her amazing body created by God makes hormonal changes to begin to nourish, nurture, protect and provide for the life growing within. Both before and after the fertilized egg becomes implanted in her womb, the choices made by this woman affect the mind, body, spirit, health, strength and happiness of the baby growing within. What she eats, what she thinks about, what harmful substances she allows or avoids, what she does in the way of exercise-- all the things the mother-to-be does or doesn't do, the peace she abides in or the rage she gives herself to-- all this affects the life, health and future of her child as she carries him to birth and, less directly, after her child is born. The miracle of life she cannot perform, but she has much power in determining the quality of that new life. She cannot determine the sex of her child nor its exact gene pool, but there is a great deal she does determine by the daily choices she makes before, during and after her pregnancy. She can even choose to have the life growing in her terminated.

This analogy is like the supernatural power of God flowing through me to minister to others in the following ways. I cannot produce the new creation of God's life in another's soul. Only God can bring a soul from death to life, the death in Adam unto new life in Christ. Only God can draw a man to receive His truth by faith. Only the Spirit of God can cause someone to be born again of imperishable seed unto eternal life. Only God can reveal Himself to a man's soul and convict a man of his sin so that he desires and seeks God's forgiveness and is ready and able to give up his old life for a new one in Christ.

What I can do as a supernaturally empowered minister of His gospel, however, is to nourish the life Christ has hidden in me, the life I now have which is hidden in Him. I can abide in Him and proclaim him. I have His power to walk in His Spirit and not in my past sinful, fleshly ways. I can praise Him and refrain from complaining. When I am afraid, I can choose to trust Him. I can pray for others and love them in many other ways. I can preach the gospel to others with my words backed up by my life which is all from Him. I cannot produce new life in Christ in myself or others, but I can do much to nourish what He has implanted so that when I proclaim Him, His seed is cast upon fertile ground where it can take root and grow and reproduce one hundred fold.

No comments: