Thankfully, he hadn't been hurt. But it came at a busy, stressful time so nothing was done for several weeks. Last week Dennis found a place locally that said they could repair it. We unlaced the enclosure netting that had been such a bear to lace on, and Dennis detached the 80 springs from the mat. Arthur and I dropped it off on Monday at Final Touch Upholstery.
They called on Wednesday to say it was done! A large patch sewn underneath and lots of stretchy thread stitched over the hole on top, less than $20. To get it back on the frame, we couldn't locate the tool that came with the trampoline so Dennis contrived a hooked awl. But after the first 15 or 20 springs, it was getting impossible to pull the mat to the springs! Then he figured out a way to pull the springs hooked onto the mat over to the frame with the awl and we got all 80 reattached as the sun was sinking. I imagined me trying to do that all by myself and knew it just wouldn't have happened! We are very thankful for Dad's strength and ingenuity!
Arthur got on the trampoline and leaped high and strong, like he'd never had the 4-6 week break. His continual working out at the gym has made him so much stronger! We noticed that fact a few days ago as well when we played tennis with him. He is stronger and much more coordinated on the tennis court now, going for the ball, even back handing it.
It is very nice to have the trampoline fixed. I can even face lacing the enclosure down again!